It seems like yesterday that I was ordained to the Gospel Ministry. It doesn’t seem possible that 30 years have gone by. You know what they say, “At first you believe in Santa Claus. Then you don’t believe in Santa Claus. Then you are Santa Claus. Then you look like Santa Claus.” Time flies. I’m convinced that God chose me to be a pastor. I can’t help but shepherd people. It is what I do and who I am, and by God’s grace I will do it until the day I die. I cherish the time I served as a pastor at Forcey Bible Church and then at Trinity Church. I enjoyed every moment helping to create Disaster
Response, and now I have been blessed with the opportunity to reach leaders through the ministries of Grace Adventures and the Capitol Commission. Paul said this of those he encountered along the way, “I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always offering prayer with joy in my every prayer for you all, in view of your participation in the gospel from the first day until now” (Philippians 1:3-5). Know this, I take each and every one of you wherever I go and trust me when I say that I am a better man for having done my service in your company. Now I’m looking forward to 30 more years … if the Lord wills!!!
Donna and I both say, “We couldn’t do this without you!” This is not an overstatement. It’s a fact. So… “Thank you!”
As you view the pictures, please thank God and celebrate how He is using YOU through our lives and ministry to make an eternal difference in the lives of others.
And here’s the real kicker, Only Heaven will reveal the ripple effect of your investment—because Donna and I aim to make disciplemakers. We really are YOUR disciplemaking missionaries with Grace Adventures.
I want to be a lifelong learner and it is refreshing to be reminded and refreshed in God’s ways. Mark 4 is the amazing Parable of the Sower. Remember there is the SEED, SOWER and the four SOILS – Hard, Rocky, Thorny and Good. Most farmers plant with precision in long straight rows, but Jesus is shocking, vivid and counter-cultural. As sowers we are to throw seed everywhere recklessly not cautiously. Why?
We are not smart enough to know the condition of the soil. You never can tell who will be receptive.
These past few weeks I have seen this truth. It is easy to pre-judge and think so and so is interested in Jesus and so and so isn’t. I met a political lobbyist that I didn’t think would have any interest in the Gospel. A friend called me to say he was bringing a guest to the Bible Study … it was that guy. He hardly missed the rest of session and now wants to continue throughout the year. Another man who I wouldn’t have thought would be thinking about Jesus approached
me and said he had never opened a Bible in his life. However, that week he got an NIV Bible and read all of the New Testament and was trying to find out if he was going to hell because he was divorced. I invited him to Bible Study and he said he would come. I was rebuked yet reminded and encouraged that I am not to play God only throw seed!!
Praise and Prayer
1. The three month legislative session is over. Much was accomplished. Good fruit came forth. New relationships were built. Pray for my continued connection with leaders all over the state. Pray for fruitful one-on-one appointments with leaders as they desire to become self-feeding followers and disciplemakers.
2. June 20-27 I will speak and Donna and I will minister daily for
eight days at the Officer’s Christian Fellowship Retreat Center in White Sulphur Springs, Pennsylvania. What an opportunity to share the Word and life with military leaders.
3. Pray for refreshment in soul and body after a very busy first 5 months of the year.
4. September 26-28th Grace Adventures will be holding a Men’s Retreat. Please put this on your calendar. Those of you in other parts of the country, I’d like to invite you to attend. You can fly into New Orleans and I will pick you up!
5. Pray for my involvement in a television series entitled, “Beyond History” that will reach 60 million homes. I just taped my first 30-minute segment called “The Crimson Thread.”
Betting the Farm on God,
One thought on “June 22, 1984-June 22, 2014…30 Years of Pastoral Ministry”
WOW! It's really great to know a celebrity! Best wishes to you and Donna.