I have been reading in 1 Samuel about the days when Israel wanted a King to keep up with the other nations. Apparently, God wasn’t enough. They picked Saul as King because he fit the bill: tall, handsome, strong. He was a disaster.
Eventually, Samuel was directed to Jesse’s house to anoint the next King. The prophet was mesmerized with Eliab, the first born, 6’4” who played both quarterback and middle linebacker for Bethlehem U. He was the whole package. The Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height … the Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”
The nation, Samuel and Jesse looked at EXTERNALS. Jesse even forgot he had a seventh son. The runt of his litter was out tending the flocks.
Oh God, save us from our own self-made, small “s” saviors and from our self-made solutions. Help us when we are in awe of external appearance alone. Help us to value the Internals more than the Externals. Help us to remember, you are the real GIANT in the story of David and Goliath and that the battle is the Lord’s.
Good words for Presidents, Prosecutors, Politicians, Preachers, People, you, and me. Character Counts.
Prayer Breakfast with Steve Green
I had a wonderful time picking up Steve Green from the airport and hearing him speak at the Life Resources Prayer Breakfast in Jefferson Parish last month. The Green family owns Hobby Lobby and Mardel’s. Steve is the co-founder and Chairman of the Board of the Museum of the Bible. Steve told how his grandmother and grandfather had six kids and lived on nothing. Five of the kids became pastors or pastor’s wives. The one kid who was different borrowed $600 to buy a molding machine for frames and eventually opened a six hundred square foot store he called Hobby Lobby. The rest is history. This illustrates you can serve God in business or ministry. We are to be stewards of whatever we have been given.
Forcey Bible 90th Anniversary
My home church, Forcey Bible Church, is celebrating their 90th Anniversary the weekend of September 22-24. I had the privilege of pastoring at this church for 15 years and am now one of their missionaries. Donna and I have been part of this ministry for over 45 years. On Saturday, September 23, I will be speaking at 9am at the Missions Breakfast and leading a Workshop at 11am. I will be joining the other pastors at 8pm for a “tent style” meeting just as Dr. Forcey did 90 years ago. Donna and I will be joining the New Community and Agape Fellowship Gatherings on Saturday afternoon to catch up with everyone. We hope to see many of you at Forcey in Silver Spring.
Pray for These Upcoming Big Events
- Regular Monthly Leader Faith Forums – held in three different Parishes.
- Forcey Bible Church 90thAnniversary – September 22-24: Speaking at the Saturday Missions Breakfast, Saturday Workshop and Evening Event
- Let the Bible Speak Podcast, Covington, LA
- War College Chapel – November 1, Carlisle, PA
- New Orleans Mission Gala – November 3, Hyatt Regency
- Capitol Commission Gathering – November 12-15, Austin, Texas
- Young at Heart – January 16, 2024, First Baptist Covington
- National Prayer Breakfast – January 31-February 1, Washington, D.C. If you have an interest in attending, contact me for information.
- Holy Land Trip – February 24 – March 4, 2024: The trip is full. Get on the list for the next trip.
- Officers’ Christian Fellowship – Summer 2024, White Sulphur Springs
- O.C.F. Holy Land Trip – March 1-10, 2025